Evaluation of the Effectiveness and Efficacy of Iyengar Yoga Therapy on Chronic Low Back Pain
- Significantly greater reductions in functional disability and pain intensity were observed in the yoga group when compared to the control group at 24 weeks.
- A significantly greater proportion of yoga subjects also reported clinical improvements at both 12 and 24 weeks.
- In addition, depression was significantly lower in yoga subjects
- Compared to other forms of exercise treatment (e.g. Pilates, lumbar stabilization programs) this yoga protocol was two to six times more effective.
- Yoga-related reductions in functional disability, pain intensity and depression were maintained at the six month follow-up.
- There was a trend towards lower pain medication use after yoga.